In 1842, produce farmers Johann Hermann Koppelmann and his wife, Anna Messmann Koppelmann joined other German Lutherans from the Gardenville area of Baltimore to become founding members of Jerusalem Evangelical Lutheran Church.
This year marks the 169th anniversary of the small brick church at the corner of Belair Road and Moravia Avenue.
Since Gardenville underwent rapid surburbanization in the 1920s, the church has endured. Today the congregation, led by Pastor Arwyn Gohl, is working hard to find ways to remain relevant to the local community that will enable the church to continue to thrive.
Some of the church’s recent initiatives include:
- The Open Food Pantry
- Partnership with Head Start
- Vacation Bible School
- Facebook page
Why should we, so many years and miles away, care today about JELC?
Our Gardenville ancestors built this church, worshipped there, were confirmed, met and courted spouses at church picnics, married there, and were buried in its cemetery.
For those of us who trace our roots back to Lutheran Gardenville, this old church, once surrounded by farms, is our spiritual and historical home.
If you would like to visit, get involved, receive JELC’s newsletter, or make a donation to the church, contact Pastor Arwyn Gohl , via email, or via snail mail:
Jerusalem Evangelical Lutheran Church, 4605 Belair Rd., Baltimore, MD 21206